Learning how to navigate and use the Internet not just for Social Media but for effective Marketing is a great way to differentiate yourself from competitors. These tips and tricks will help you reach the goals you set out for your Business or Personal Brand.
1.Establish what you are using the Internet for and who you are marketing towards. Consumers or Businesses? B2C/B2B.
- Are you using internet to market to Consumers? Or are you using the internet to market to other Businesses?
- Behavioral Data is the 3key to understanding the Internet Consumer from Acquisition to Purchase.
- Identify the Demographics of Internet users. Now you may say to yourself, ‘Well everyone uses the Internet’ but the truth is you might be surprised as to what you find. If you are just starting out, then this will be helpful in establishing a base. If you are already established, then this will help you figure out who your base is and how to reach more customers.
- Find out demographics like gender, race/ethnicity, age, household income, education, and community type. This can be found on the PEW Research’s Website. Through this research you may find that your target audience isn’t on the internet and you have to find other mediums to reach them.
2.Find out what Business model you want to follow? Brokerage Model, Advertising Model, Infomediary model, Merchant Model, Manufacturer (Direct Model), Affiliate Model, Community Model, Subscription Model, and Utility Model.How are you going to make money? Is basically what a Business Model is.
- Brokerage Model- Bringing Buyers and sellers together-eBay
- Advertising Model- Delivering messages with Content- Google
- Infomediary Model- Reselling Useful Data- Wall Street Journal
- Merchant Model- Providing goods and Services-Barnes & Noble
- Manufacturer (Direct Model)- Reaching buyers directly- Dell
- Community Model- Connecting Individuals and groups- Etsy
- Subscription Model- Delivering services and content for a set fee- Netflix
- Affiliate Model- Offering incentives to partner sites- Amazon
- Utility Model- Delivering services or content “pay as you go”- Skype
3.Use a Customer Database to Data Mine
- Using already existing customer data to extract unknown information about a customer.
- Analyze patterns in customer behavior such as purchasing time, popular hour to shop etc.
4. Build Brand Image/Equity
“The Strong, Sustainable, and Differentiated Advantage over competitors”.
- Develop Brand Awareness– Brand recognition is important because customers remember seeing or hearing about the brand
“A strong brand image is essential for consumer comfort in an unfamiliar purchasing situation like the Internet”.
5.Internet Customer Acquisition Tools with Online Advertising. How to Obtain New Customers?
- Display Advertising- Decide the destination for click-through ads.
- If there is a need to collect or provide information provide a landing page.
“Never just dump the click-through onto the website home page; provide the information needed without requiring additional search”.
- Rich Media Ads- Do your research about online ads context, keep it simple, have an effective call to action, make the process seamless and easy to load, Choose appropriate colors and calligraphy, and choose appropriate sites for your target audience to display ads
6.Email Marketing- Track Email Metrics.
- Click-through and Open Rate Measurements
- Measure Hard/Soft bounce rates
- Catchy Email Subject to grab customer’s attention and let them know that you are the sender
- Avoid getting sent to Spam
- Keep it simple
- Keep file sizes low for easy download
- Personalize Emails
- Keep the emails targeted to target audience
- Keep emails relevant
7. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Marketing- The Key to Effective Internet Marketing.
- Designing your site or landing page where search engines can find your site without having to pay to get the top spot.
- Ideally the first few pages of a search engine get the most traffic
- You want your searches to be organic or algorithmic
- Pay-Per-Click (PPC)- Paid advertising “text ads targeted to keyword search results on search on search engines, through programs like Google Adwords” which does cost money and sometimes biding.
8.Social Media Marketing- Relevancy of Internet Marketing.
- Be aware of Social Media Platforms and upcoming new platforms
- Create a brand Community online
- Be aware of trends #Trending
- Make sure all mediums take the customer back to the landing page
- Include video and blog posts
- Interact with customers
9.Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and Retention (Customer Service)
- Strategic- Identify customers, differentiate them by their needs and potential value, customize communications with the customer.
- Operational- Derived from customer information to develop tactical programs for Inbound and Outbound Marketing.
- Analytical- Target identification and Value Proposition Development of the Customer.
- Run tests on the website to make sure the customer intended action can be performed.
- Usability and aesthetic appeal is clear and up to date.
- Saves the company money in the long run.
- Failure to maintain may cost you customers. #Ouch
11.Measuring Web Performance (Are we where we want to be?)
- Bench-marking is helpful but don’t pay too much attention to other companies. Focus on the goals you want to achieve and make them S.M.A.R.T.
- Evaluate on Website Performance- Use Hit counter software to collect basic website metrics.
- Traffic Measurements- Hits, Page views, Impressions, Sessions, and Click-through.
- Use Google Analytics to get started.
12.Privacy and Security on the Internet
“There are many threats to data on the Internet. Breaches of data stored by businesses, government, and non-profit organizations are common…many pose…significant harm to the consumer”.
- Protect yourself and your business by installing security software to block malware, Phishing-fraudulent emails, Spear Phishing-new ways to access an organizations whole system, Pfarming-hijacking a site and copy its format, and Spoofing-hack the IP address and become like the other.
By the end of this post I hope that you sense this underlying common factor in all of the tips and trick for Internet Marketing and that is, ‘It’s About the Customer’. Make all your moves strategically according to the customer and their needs.
This information was Provided by:
Roberts, M.L., & Zahay, Debra (2013). Internet Marketing Integrating Online & Offline Strategies. Mason, OH : South-Western Cengage Learning.